Social media has become an important tool in the personal and professional lives of many people. Your interactions on platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and others can enhance your communication skills and influence if you learn to write in ways that people can connect to and understand.
“You only have to do a few thing right in your life so long as you don’t do too many things wrong.” –Warren Buffet
6 Social Media Posting Reminders to Protect Your Online Persona:
- Know your company guidelines. Social media mistakes can have long-lasting results, so protect your career by following your company’s rules. Ask for a written copy of the rules if you don’t already have one.
- Separate your personal and business accounts. Express your private views on your own time and definitely through your own social media platforms. Use a disclaimer when publicly stating an opinion or your own personal values!
- Project a positive attitude. Readers usually respond better to postings with photos and a positive tone. Be precise with word choices in your posts, so they cannot be misinterpreted by others. Save the more sensitive subjects for face to face discussions! And don’t ignore your followers. Respond to their comments and messages.
- Think before posting. Clarify your purpose before making any posts. Do you believe that others will find it useful or entertaining? Is the content something you feel comfortable sharing in a public space?
- Review before allowing post that tag your account to ensure it is a reliable source and true representation of your opinion. Minimize dubious content. Remove text or photos that you are unsure about. Ask others to do the same if they have posted content about you that could be questionable. If all else fails, post more neutral or flattering information until you push the debatable information away from the first pages of search engines.
- Monitor your online presence. Keep track of how you look online. Regularly review your profiles for accuracy and what others post about you. Set up a Google Alert with your name and check it regularly!
Social media is a fun and informative way to stay in touch with new and old friends. It’s a great place to get a peek at todays news. You are free to voice your opinion about anything. However, remember to use good judgment and be professional in order to become memorable while also protecting your online persona. Write On!